Toshi's Pure QB Demo Contest (Spring 2002)
- Up to and including 512 KB (524288 bytes) compiled standalone .EXE. No .EXE Packers!
- Up to 512KB of external files for tables, graphics, sound data allowed.
- Pure QuickBASIC source code
- SHELL is NOT allowed
(this means INT21,4B and other indirect ways of executing external programs is NOT allowed.)
- CALL ABSOLUTE / ABSOLUTE is not allowed
- CALL INTERRUPT is allowed (that means EMS and other goodies are available).
- No .LIB or .QLB linking other than the ones needed for reserved QB commands.
- The internal QB libraries may not be modified.
- People who find loopholes in the rules to do mixed language programming (using asm, etc.) MUST
- Report the loophole to email@example.com.
- Wait for a written approval or denial of the usage of the loophole from Toshi.
- If an approval is given, two versions of the entry must be submitted:
- The one using source code consisting of ONLY Pure QuickBASIC commands.
- The one using the loophole to allow other languages
- The two versions will be judged in separate categories for fairness.
- Your entry must run on the test system.
- Your entry must also run in VGA-only mode using the -vga command line switch.
- Your entry must also run without a sound card using the -nosound switch at the command line.
- Operating system: MS-DOS 7 (Win9x DOS Window).
- 200MHz CPU minimum (you may target the average QB user's CPU speed instead)
- 16MB RAM
- VESA VBE 2.0-compatible SVGA card.
- SoundBlaster 16 compatible sound card.
For fairness, the judging will be done by members of the QB community that
are not entrants and are not active in the IRC channels. If you wish to
judge, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Technical (speed, difficulty of effect) (40%)
- Artistic (music, fluidity, ambience) (30%)
- Wow and "Coolness" Factor (30%)
- Using GETed or BLOADed asm interrupt handlers that are executed using CALL INTERRUPT.